The Hermann Monument Society

Is dedicated to the conservation, interpretation, promotion,
and development of the Hermann Monument 
in New Ulm, Minnesota, an official symbol
recognizing the great achievements of Germanic-Americans

 

 

 

Hermann Monument History
Preserving a National Treasure

   During the 1950's through 1970's numerous spot repairs were done on the statue's shoulder, wrist, and the hilt of  the sword. In 1973, the Hermann Monument was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
   When 100 mph straight-line winds tore one of the wings off Hermann's helmet in 1998, city leaders formed the Hermann Monument Perpetual Maintenance Society. 
    Grants from the Minnesota legislature and Minnesota Historical Society and major fund raising efforts in 1999 supported renovation and removal of lead based paint on the base of the monument costing $960,000. 
   Julius Berndt's original plan had included sketched lions on pedestals on the base of the monument, however, funding for this project was not available until much later.
Four cast iron lions were shipped from China, painted, and placed on the pedestals marking the 104th Anniversary of the monument's dedication on September 25, 2001. 
   In 2004-2005, the statue of Hermann was removed from its pedestal for renovation. Interior framework was strengthened.

   Holes and rivets were repaired, new copper sheeting was placed on the hilt of the sword and boot, and a new patina was added to complete refurbishing of the statue at a cost of $390,000.

 

HERMANN MONUMENT DATA

 

Architect: Julius Berndt Sr.

Statue: Built by the W. H. Mullins Manufacturing Company of Salem, Ohio

Sculptor: Alphonso Pelzer

Monument:    

Total height:           102’ base to sword-                                    tip                    

Foundation:             granite

Base:                         Kasota stone, 42’ diameter octagon, 18’ high; features 4 pylon extensions from octagonal base points

Lions:                          Added September 25,2001 marking 104th Dedication Anniversary; Cast iron; imported from China; each lion weighs 2,300#

Pillars:                        Ten 25’ high pillars encircle a central weight bearing pillar for the cupola and statue; open circular staircase extending from base to reach the statue

Cupola:                       27’ high

Statue:                        32’ high sword-tip to toe; weight 4,400#; boots: inner 30” long, outer 33” long; interior framework steel pipe; exterior copper sheeting   

 


Julius Berndt (1832-1916)
   Architect and Builder of the Hermann Monument in New Ulm, Minnesota 


(From the Collection of the Brown County
Historical Society, New Ulm, MN)

Why was the statue of a Germanic Chieftain built in Minnesota?

         Negotiations between the Sisseton and Wahpeton bands of the Dakota tribes and representatives of the US government resulted in the Traverse Des Sioux Treaty of 1851 opening thirty-five million acres for settlement in Minnesota
   In 1854, Julius Berndt and other immigrants of the Chicago Land Association homesteaded along the Minnesota River near reserved lands of the Dakota Indians. Two years later,  they were joined by members of the Turner Society of North America and the population of New Ulm grew to nearly 800.

East coast anti-immigration resentment and the Dakota Conflict of 1862 forged a strong bond unifying these early German settlers. These hard working pioneers appreciated the opportunities of owning their own land, businesses, and the freedom life in America offered. However, preserving their heritage, language, and culture as they settled in their new homeland was important to them. Hermann, a legendary Germanic freedom fighter symbolized strength and unity for the Order of the Sons of Hermann Lodges throughout the United States. Julius Berndt, a gifted surveyor, architect, and engineer drew plans for a monument similar to a massive Hermann Monument already under construction in Detmold, Germany
   Serving as the national secretary of the Sons of Hermann, Berndt sought funding to build a monument in New Ulm, Minnesota. Julius Berndt designed and built an ocatagonal base, pillars, and cupola funded largely by the Order of the Sons of Hermann.

   The W.H. Mullins Manufacturing Company of Salem, Ohio was hired to manufacture the statue of Hermann (Arminius).


(Photo from the Collection of Brown County Historical Society, New Ulm, MN)

  

   Covering an interior steel frame, Alphonso Pelzer’s sculpted image of the Germanic hero featured copper sheeting to complete the thirty-two foot statue.


    (Photo from the Collection of Brown County Historical Society, New Ulm, MN)

  The statue was shipped to New Ulm in pieces on a rail gondola in July 1889. However, financial problems hindered completion of the base and the statue was stored in a shed for many years. 
   On September 25,1897, the Hermann Monument was dedicated before representatives from 23 states registered to attend the 21st National Convention of the Order of the Sons of Hermann. German heritage and culture were celebrated with poetry, music, song and dance, picnics and parades. A festival Hermann’s Brau beer was brewed for the occasion.

 

 “We must tell our children and our children’s children the story of the heroes of every land and every time who have given their lives that liberty and fraternity and equality might survive among men.”

                                                                        Governor David Marston Clough
 Dedication of Hermann Monument
September 25, 1897


  

Celebrate 
Hermann's Fight for Freedom
& Contributions of German-Americans!


Help us preserve this beautiful monument!
 
Hermann Monument Society Memberships donations are available at several levels.

Consider a donation to our
Paver Program.


MILESTONES

Hermann and His Monument New Ulm, Minnesota USA

  • 9 A.D.—Battle in Teutoburg Forest—Kalkriese Area
  • June 24, 1888---Cornerstone laid in New Ulm, Minnesota USA for Hermann Monument
  • September 25, 1897---Dedication of the Hermann Monument
  • 1973---Monument placed on American National Register of Historic Sites
  • 1987---Kalkriese Battlefield discovered by Major Tony Clunn
  • July 20, 1998---Straight Line Winds Damage Herman Statue-helmet wing lost
  • 2000—106th U.S. Congress unanimously declared the Herman Monument & Park as National Symbols for all Americans of German descent
  • September 25, 2001---Four Lions placed on pedestals
  • February 25, 2003---Hermann Statue taken down for restoration
  • November 9, 2004---Hermann Statue returned to top of monument
  • 2007---Hermann Monument Society organized
  • 2009---New wrought-iron fence installed in preparation for the 2000th Anniversary Celebration of The Battle of Teutoburg Forest
  • 2011---Formal Re-Dedication of the Interpretive Center in the monument base: installation of Teutoburg Forest Diorama and “Marcus Maximus” legionary displays
Website Builder